Dental implants have proven to be a safe and effective treatment for reinstating dental aesthetics and functions. Most of the patients that chose this treatment instead of removable dentures testify that it is indeed more convenient to use. But the question is, is it safe to place dental implants for seniors? According to dentists, dental implants are generally safe even for seniors, in fact, they recommended this kind of tooth replacement more than dentures.
Why Dental Implants Are Important
Tooth loss is one of the reasons why dental implants exist. But apart from supporting bridges and crowns, implants are also responsible for keeping your oral health in good shape. Their main purpose is to provide support to the bone structure, restore the ability to bite and chew, and most importantly, reinstates the patient’s perfect smile.
These are some of the things that even seniors should enjoy as well. Imagine growing old and having limited capability to chew your favorite food? It’s frustrating, isn’t it? The field of dentistry highly suggests that seniors get dental implants so they can still fully enjoy their meals and restore their confidence even at old age.
Cost Of Dental Implants For Seniors
The cost of any dental procedures vary. Since there’s usually no standard amount for specific dental treatment, a dental office can basically increase or lower down the price. If we are talking about the cost of dental implants for overall patients, it would cost around $1000 to $3000. But it does not end there, your implants will not be complete without abutment that ranges from $200 to $350 and a dental crown which normally costs around $2000. The rates typically apply to adults and seniors.
Age Limit For Dental Implants
As mentioned, dental implants are the conventional way of resolving tooth loss. So there is no age limit for this oral treatment. Teens, adults, and seniors can all enjoy the benefits of this dental procedure. This is especially beneficial for seniors because it will significantly improve their quality of life.
Benefits of Dental Implants for Senior
If you are planning to set an appointment for your senior parents or grandparents, below are the benefits that they will get after the treatment:
- Better lifestyle. Our lifestyle is composed of different factors. Sometimes for seniors, it includes weekly gatherings with their friends in the community and being socially active to live their life to the fullest. Dental implants will definitely help them be more comfortable in attending such events.
- It will give them a permanent solution against tooth loss. They will not worry about losing a tooth anymore because implants are durable and can stand firm for a long period of time. As long as they visit their dentist’s office regularly for checkups, then they are all good.
- Bye-bye tooth decay. Since these are artificial teeth, tooth decay won’t be a problem anymore. Dental implants are not susceptible to decay because it’s made of titanium.
- It’s worth it! It may be expensive and costly but it will definitely live up beyond your expectations. And compared to dentures and other restoration treatments, dental implants are meant to last longer given that it’s well-taken care off.
- It will make their eating experience better. We are all aware that the ability of seniors to eat certain foods is limited. The most common reason is that they do not want to damage their dentures or their teeth aren’t as strong as they used to be. Seniors will definitely e joy dental implants because it will give them the opportunity to eat the foods that they couldn’t bite for a long time.
- Dental implants will improve their looks. Our teeth play a vital role in our overall looks. Aside from its essential functions in oral health, it will also improve their appearance in general.
- Improved confidence and self-esteem. Because of its great output and natural looks, seniors will feel younger again and their confidence will be more noticeable. They will surely be happier to join family events now that they have a complete set of teeth.
Drawbacks of Dental implants
While dental implants can provide numerous benefits for seniors, there are a few disadvantages.
- It might not be covered by dental insurance. However, your plan can possibly cover the procedures following dental implants such as crowns, bridges, or dentures.
- The recovery period is quite long. Dental implants need at least 4 to 6 months before it heals in full. Sadly, this period could be quite long for seniors to endure.
- It would require surgery. You might think that this isn’t a big deal but any kind of surgery can pose a threat to your health. Just one mistake can cause a bacterial infection or worse, complications.
Leave a Reply